The entry-level NordicTrack treadmill model T-Series 6.5 S model retains NordicTrack’s innovative design and quality engineering, while the tech features are simple. For a compact, folding treadmill, the 6.5 S is a great choice.
- 1 Who it’s for: Casual runners and walkers who need a high-quality folding treadmill with minimal tech
- 2 Features Specifications
- 3 Check on Amazon
- 4 NordicTrack T6.5 S Treadmill Buying Guide
- 5 Console/Controls
- 6 Functionality
- 7 Final words:
Who it’s for: Casual runners and walkers who need a high-quality folding treadmill with minimal tech
The 6.5 S is a great choice for casual users who are looking for an easy-to-use, well-built machine that is also economical. It comes with:
- Simple console with a 5″ LCD display
- 20 onboard exercises
- Motor with 2.6 CHP
- For such a small machine, a good-sized running platform is essential
- Hydraulic assist release for folding
- Great treadmill at a great price!
- Convenient, streamlined console
- Side rails with non-slip texture, 4 inches
- You can turn the cushioning on or off in your deck.
- For easy mobility, foldable with wheels at the base
- Ideal for light running or walking
- It is easy to see the bright LCD screen
- You don’t need Wi-Fi to run 20 of the onboard programs. Just plug in and go!
- 300 lb maximum user capacity
- Lifetime frame warranty
- No touchscreen
- There are no fans for the console
- This is not the place for intense training
- You must have a compatible device to make it iFit-compatible.
- 10% Discount
- The 6.5 S will rise to 10%, which is quite steep for an average user. An incline will work your gluts, hamstrings and legs for balance. This adds an extra challenge for those looking to burn calories and get a good workout.
- 300lb weight capacity
- For such a small treadmill, the 300 lb weight limit is quite remarkable. The 6.5 is built to last. NordicTrack offers a lifetime warranty on this machine.
- Flex Select(tm) Cushioning
- The cushioning function can be turned on and off using the spongey orange dampeners underneath the deck. Turn the cushion knob until the label reads “Cushion”. To simulate outdoor surfaces, simply twist the dampener until the label reads “Off.” Cushioning protects joints from injury and helps prevent overuse.
- SpaceSaver(r), Design with EasyLift ™ Assist
- When not in use, the 6.5 S can be folded up. The 6.5 Si’s footprint is small, and it is only 73 inches tall folded vertically. The EasyLift aid makes it easy to fold and the hydraulic release system underneath the deck will gently lower your running platform back down to the ground. This is an excellent option for people with limited space.
- One Touch(r), Controls
- OneTouch controls are located on the right and left of the screen. To match the speed or incline of each button, they are numbered 1-10 and provide an easy way to navigate from the console.
- Lifetime frame warranty
- A treadmill’s lifetime frame warranty is a rare feature. This is the only NordicTrack machine that offers a lifetime frame guarantee. NordicTrack is confident that the 6.5 S machine is durable and sturdy.
- 2.6 CHP DurX(tm) Commercial Plus Motor
- Continuous horsepower is 2.6 CHP, which means that the motor can maintain any speed. It is self-cooling, so it won’t heat up, and should be able to accommodate average runners and walkers.
- 20 On-Board Exercise Programs
- There are 20 workouts available on the treadmill. These are basic, easy-to-follow routines. The buttons for programs are easy to see and brightly colored.
NordicTrack T6.5 S Treadmill Buying Guide
The 6.5 Si is built on the same frame, but the 6.5 S folds up easily. Stability is assured by the base’s steel sides and cross beams. The console and handrails are supported by powder coated chrome rails. To ensure that the running platform is strong and durable, the deck is made of composite materials.
- Depth The handrails extend from behind the console to the side, along with the deck. The handrails’ rear end is covered with the same black plastic molding as the console. For a comfortable hand-hold, the front portion of the handrail has a soft, spongy grip surface.
- Width The console is flanked by a horizontal handrail. Each hand is equipped with heart rate sensors.
- Comfort: These handrails make it easy and comfortable to use. They are conveniently located alongside the foot (side) rails, so they can be reached as required.
- Cushioning NordicTrack has not skimped on the 6.5 S. The 6.5 S comes with Flex Select cushioning in its deck, which increases comfort and reduces joint impact. The deck supports moderate cushioning and four orange dampeners underneath provide support. Users can also turn the cushioning on and off as needed. This feature helps to reduce fatigue, so you can work out longer and more comfortably.
- Width/Length: This running deck is good-sized. If the machine were to be folded any longer, it would be too heavy. With just a little more wiggle room at the sides, the belt measures 20″ x55″. This allows for full stride length.
- Belt: This commercial-grade belt for the 6.5 S has a slightly textured finish and is very durable. The 6.5 S belt is more comfortable than other treadmills at this price point. It has just enough texture to prevent your foot from sliding.
The 2.6 CHP motor controls speed and incline, so you can control much of your running experience. Although the motor’s power is less than some, the 6.5 S motor provides smooth incline adjustments and consistent speed. The motor was tested in many settings. I tried it on multiple inclines, adjusting speed and changing the inclines. The motor was responsive and did not take too long to adjust. The motor’s 2.6 horsepower should be sufficient to support walkers, runners, and single users. If you have several users or are planning to do heavy training, I recommend a slightly stronger motor.
- The LCD backlit LCD screen 6.5 S is clear and easy-to-read. The screen shows distance, speed, calories, incline, and duration. The screen is not touchscreen-compatible, so all controls can be found underneath it. You can select your program using large, bright buttons. Although the screen is small, I found that the digital numbers were easier to read than the more complicated displays on other treadmills. Although the treadmill is compatible with iFit, iFit won’t display on this screen. To view iFit programs, you’ll need a compatible tablet/phone to purchase an iFit subscription.
- The console’s layout is very simple. The 6.5 S layout is more straightforward than touchscreen consoles. The screen has Quick Control buttons that control speed and incline. An MP3 input jack allows you to plug your phone into treadmill speakers. A volume control button is available. The console’s base houses manual controls for speed and incline, as well as Start/Stop, and the Safety Key. The controls are located just below the ledge, which is large enough to hold a tablet or phone. Note: A tablet placed on the ledge may slightly obscure the screen. The console’s base has a horizontal grip bar that extends horizontally to the front. It also features heart rate sensors either side.
- Two Speakers are located on the sides and provide plenty volume. To listen to music from the speakers, you can plug your phone into an MP3 jack.
- Storage Pockets are large enough to hold large water bottles and are located on either side.
The 6.5 S treadmill is solid. Although it doesn’t come with many upgrades, the 6.5 S is still a solid treadmill.
There are many training options with the 10% maximum incline on the 6.5 S. Inline training is not only good for conditioning the legs for outdoor hills but it also strengthens your hamstrings, which can help to counter quad dominance. This is particularly useful for walkers, as steeper terrain allows you to naturally increase your stride length and swing your arms. It also gives you a better overall workout. A steeper grade will require more effort so that you can increase your metabolic output while still enjoying the low-impact benefits associated with walking.
20 pre-programmed exercises
There are many preset options available for intervals, hills and calorie burn. You can also use the simple manual lap screen. These programs don’t have audio, so you can keep track of your stats even while listening to music or reading a book.
Subscribe to iFit
iFit can be purchased as an optional option for the 6.5 S. iFit won’t display on the LCD screen. However, you can log in to iFit from a compatible tablet/phone and then set it up on the console. iFit has over 16,000 workouts. These include strength training, combination classes, stretching, and more. These are some of the iFit formats:
- Studio-based classes consist of boot camp and interval training. You can also combine strength training with running segments in combo routines. As a trainer, he/she will guide you as you work with other studio participants.
- iFit offers outdoor runs in many exotic locations. The trainer guides you on the treadmill, and you follow his instructions.
- Off the treadmill classes are also available. From any tablet or computer, log into iFit and select the “Daily Exercise” tab. You will see a list of classes such as yoga, kickboxing, HIIT or a simple dumbbell workout.
The 6.5 S is very quiet. The 6.5 S is quiet, regardless of the incline. You can walk and run with very little foot noise. The quiet deck of this machine impressed me.
Storage / Folding
The 6.5 S folds quickly. It takes one person to fold it, and maybe one hand. Grab the bar at the bottom of the deck, and lift it. To raise the deck, there is no release lever. When folded up, the deck locks securely and will not move until you push the foot release button underneath. The hydraulic system will engage as the deck falls. It will gently rest on the floor and you won’t need to push or pull it down.
Your treadmill can be rolled out of the way if necessary. The treadmill has two wheels underneath it so that you can tilt it towards yourself and then rock it back onto its wheels. The treadmill can then be rolled or slid into a closet or out of the room.
The NordicTrack6.5 S is a quality, simple machine. These treadmills, along with the NordicTrack6.5 Si, are listed as our Top Buy Treadmills for 2020. It can be folded up quickly and stored in a closet or corner. The motor is quiet and powerful. The onboard programs can be run without WiFi, so it’s a great option for anyone who doesn’t want extra tech. The 6.5 S treadmill is an excellent entry-level choice and one of our Best Budget Treadmills.